About this event
Are you interested in the life of a freelancer? If so, then please join us as we spotlight some impressive freelancers working across a number of areas of publishing including editorial and rights, who will each shine a light on what freelancing is actually like!
Arusa Qureshi (chair)
Arusa Qureshi is a writer and editor based in Edinburgh and a passionate advocate for diversity and accessibility within arts and culture. She is the former Editor of The List and writes mostly about music, most recently Flip the Script – a book about women in UK hip hop.
Denise Cowle (she/her) is an editor and proofreader. Her focus is nonfiction and she works for publishers, organisations and individuals. She is an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading and has been its marketing director since 2017.
Andrea Joyce is the former Rights Director at Canongate. Having gone freelance in 2020, she is now freelancing as a rights agent for a number of publishers and literary agencies in Scotland and London, including Luath Press and Jenny Brown Associates.
Sophie Cross, a freelance marketer and writer, launched Freelancer Magazine via a Kickstarter campaign in February which hit 150% of its goal and sold 1000 copies before it even existed. It now has a growing community of B2B and creative freelancers and readers in 20 countries.
- Captions will be available via Otter AI.
- Visual descriptions of each speaker will be mentioned.
- Event recording will be made available later for ticket-holders.
- Limited free tickets are available on first come–first serve basis for those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and/or whose income has been severely affected by the pandemic. Please email us at email@example.com to book your free spot.
- Blog post summarising the event will be published later.
You can access the Zoom link by logging into your Eventbrite on the day of the event. Eventbrite will send you reminder emails.