In their daily lives, freelancers encounter numerous problems. To better understand these difficulties, we went straight to the source: our freelancing community!
In this article, we will offer responses from nearly 1,800 people who took part in our most recent poll. “What are the most difficult challenges for freelancers?” we inquired. and you replied.
The results give a thorough picture of what a freelancer faces — locating clients and projects, ensuring on-time delivery of paint while still enjoying the work you do.
Here are the biggest challenges in the life of a freelancer, as well as some advice on how to overcome them.
The following are the findings of our 2021 freelancer survey. Every surveyed freelancer was given the opportunity to select their three largest issues, and the three major challenges and freelancing problems at the time were:
– Client acquisition – 31%
– Separate private and professional lives / work-life balance – 18%
– Obtaining a higher salary – 17%
We repeated our yearly survey in 2021, asking the same question. And these are the main challenges that a freelancer will encounter in 2021:
By far the most common difficulty in our community was project acquisition. Approximately one-third of you identified that choice as the most pressing issue in your profession (68 percent in 2021!).
This comes as no surprise; freelancing, at its heart, requires client acquisition to be a top focus, regardless of industry or previous success.
So, how can you get more clients?
– Reactivate old clients: Instead of constantly hunting for new clients, make sure you create long-term relationships with the ones you’re already working with. The majority of successful freelancers receive repeat business from the same client.
– Create a system: Coming up with a fresh strategy to contact clients every time you need a new project might be exhausting. Make certain that your efforts are not in vain. Keep track of how you approach clients and how successful they are. Once you’ve determined what works best for you, choose an approach and keep refining it. By doing so, you’ll be able to design a system that is personalized to your needs and will continue to bring you clients with no challenges effort.
– Don’t give up and don’t slow down: When it comes to recruiting clients, persistence is essential. You don’t want to go from project to project with no contracts in between. Always keep an eye out and stick to your system. Having more projects allows you to select the best ones. Even when your plate is actually full — this is one of the rare occasions where more is nearly always better.
– Be active on social media: Using social media to source projects and clients is one of the finest ways to do it in 2020. It is ideal for networking as well as exhibiting your talents.
Make genuine ties with other freelancers and don’t be afraid to refer them to others when the time comes! They may return the favor at some point.
More than one-sixth of our participants stated they battled with challenges of work-life balance in 2018, and this number is expected to rise to nearly one-third of all surveyed freelancers by 2020.
Let’s be honest: no one wants to confess that their personal life is suffering as a result of how much they work. It might be very tempting at the start of your career to keep your foot on the gas pedal and never let up. But even if you adore your job, you need a break.
Take advantage of the opportunity when it presents itself.
As a freelancer, you must learn to say no and decline freelancing job that you simply cannot accept. It is critical that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
So, don’t forego your sleep. Be available to your friends and family. Burning oneself out after a few years of freelancing is the simplest way to ensure your career does not progress.
Obtaining a higher pay rate
This is another basic freelancer issue that everyone goes through at some point.
About one in six of our participants responded that improving their pay rate is the largest challenge they’re facing. As a freelancer, you can expect to see an increase in salary if you are constant in learning new tools and approaches and improving your skills year after year.
However, many freelancing positions are part of punishingly competitive markets. This means that many individuals will try to undercut your costs. Going against the grain is the greatest approach to overcome this.
Avoid decreasing your charges simply because ten other freelancers in your niche would do the job for less. Instead, emphasize quality.
As the popularity of freelancing grows, many organizations discover that it’s not just about finding inexpensive and easy external labor — it’s also about finding expertise. Have an effort to be one of those specialists, and make your salary reflect it.
More than 15% of our poll respondents claim they have the most difficulty staying productive. There are numerous methods for combating laziness, and you must find the one that works best for you.
Some people believe that working in an environment with other people motivates them. This could be your neighborhood library, a co-working place, or the coffee shop down the street.
Trying out new things is the best method to figure out how to retain self-discipline. Break the mold if you perceive that things aren’t working well.
– Are you not a morning person? Stop attempting to work at such times and instead concentrate on the evenings.
– You’re unable to do any job because emails constantly interrupting you? Turn off your phone and your laptop’s email client.
Identify what distracts you and eliminate it as much as possible. You will eventually reach a point where you understand how and when you work best; use that knowledge to become more productive than ever before.
Here are some suggestions to help freelancers increase their productivity:
– Make and stick to a to-do list: Prioritize your tasks and arrange your day ahead of time to comprehend all you need to get done within your working day.
– Make use of project management tools: There are numerous online programs that may assist you in organizing your life and business so that you can keep track of customer acquisition, responsibilities to fulfill for each client, and so on. Trello might be an excellent choice for freelancers.
– Time-tracking tools: If you operate on an hourly basis with customers, they may request that you use a certain time-tracking application, such as Toggl or TimeDoctor. Get acquainted with these platforms!
Running a business demands a lot of paperwork and time to manage invoices, pursue payments, submit taxes, and so on.
Accounting, in example, was regarded as a major issue by 21% of freelancers. This is typically one of the duties that freelancers want to outsource. If you can afford it, this is an excellent choice.
You might, however, look into one of the various accounting tools accessible to freelancers. Many allow freelancers to simply manage time and handle invoices or expenses, which can save a lot of time. Consider the following accounting software options:
What are your most pressing freelance issues? What are your biggest challenges when working as a freelancer? Please share your ideas in the comments section below!
Source: Freelancers Map
Flexgigzz is the Asia leading marketplace for freelancers service and together with SOHO Learning Hub which is an online platform for short courses and both of them aims to be the number one provider in Asia. For growth industries such as E-Sport Authority which is dedicated to providing independent media coverage to all E-Sport News related from around the world and for the art world, there is Atelier Auction which is an investable art auctioneer and being in the art scene for decades.