Assistant Assigning Editor ( Remote )
NerdWallet is looking for an assistant assigning editor with an entrepreneurial spirit. This is a non-managerial role, but successful AAEs may be candidates for future management positions on our content team.
To be a successful Assistant Assigning Editor at NerdWallet, you must:
- Be passionate about helping readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are consistently engaging, clear, and actionable.
- Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style but also at a big-picture level.
- Be passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re leading a project or working within a team.
- Be able to give constructive feedback, work through competing viewpoints and handle challenging conversations with co-workers effectively.
- Collaborate well with writers and other editors as well as cross-functional teams.
That’s part of what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet, where we guide consumers on a broad range of financial topics, including credit cards, banking, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, insurance, and investing.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from the Associated Press, Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We’re flexible. We’re highly collaborative.
How you can make an impact:
- Develop an understanding of the business plan and objectives of your coverage area, and how content fits into that plan.
- Learn SEO and optimize content for rank and engagement.
- Help develop writers and offer feedback on their day-to-day performance and their performance reviews.
- Ensure content is high-quality and user-first and brings clarity to personal finance decisions.
- Demonstrate growing editorial judgment and topic expertise.
- Show creativity and produce different types of quality content within guidelines laid out by assigning editors.
- Go beyond surfacing teamwide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
- Look for opportunities to extend your influence beyond your immediate team, such as through special projects.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
- An expert editor and editing coach.
- Able to handle the logistics and demands of large projects.
- Excellent at prioritizing assignments and projects, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
- Driven and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
- 3 to 5+ years editing for consumer-facing publications
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus
- Knowledge of SEO best practices or interest in learning
*Based in San Francisco, CA or 100% Remote (Based in the U.S.)*