“I am scared that my father won’t allow me to be a photographer.” – Uncountable Farhans while cramming the lessons of engineering or medical fail to embrace their passion into profession.
With the boom in advertising, media and fashion industry, Photography from a mere hobby, is emerging as a lucrative career choice among all age groups, especially youths. It is rightly said that a single photograph can sometimes be much more eloquent than a thousand words.
Pondering about the streams of photography from where you can nurture talent and generate money? Come let’s explore the basics of photography you need to know before taking it up as your career.
What Eligibility criteria do I need to fulfil to be a photographer?
Guess what? There are no hard and fast eligibility criteria which you have to fulfil to be a professional photographer. You need to have certain inherent and acquired skillsets on production and post-production sector to successfully turn a frame into a photograph!
What are the key skills I need to possess to be a pro in photography?
Few inherent and acquired competencies that you should have as a photographer are as follows:
- Understand your subject: The success of a photographer lies in the choice of his frame! Photographers need a “good eye”: The ability to use colours, shadows, shades, light, and distance to compose good photographs.
- Know your tool: Knowing the tool for photography that is, the camera is of utmost importance, learn camera operation including manual mode where you can control what you see, how you see through your lens.
- Digital editing: Familiarity with photo editing software turns good photos great! Post-production skill must be acquired to edit your work and produce professional quality images!
- Interpersonal skills: often while photographing people, understanding their needs their emotions are important to capture them in their most candid form! Flexibility and communication when working with clients is a must to achieve quality images as well as quality connections.
- Marketing skills: In freelancing or your own business, marketing plays an important role which involves convincing your clients to avail your service as well as advertising your work in social media platform!
- Essential inherent traits: the basic key skills develop from within which includes a creative and aesthetic mindset, patience and practice to capture the desired output, eye for detailing, a burning passion to get going !
How can I learn photography?
Unlike other subjects, photography is quite flexible. It includes various degree, vocational and certificate courses. It can also be learnt online through various portals with minimal cost or no cost at all.
Every aspect of the profession needs proper education and photography is not an exception! First you learn then remove the L!! Practising with a mentor can largely influence your skill and knowledge!
What are the most acknowledged photography sectors?
There are varieties of genres a professional can work with. He/she can choose genres even can mix genres as per preference and capability. The notable sectors are:
- Freelance photography: You are your own master here! Almost all professional photographers started solely as a freelancer and probably now continue as a side business. Any field of photography can be chosen for freelancing. It is self-employment, hence business mindset must be there for a successful run!
- Wedding and event photography: The most widely practised photography genre where you will be appointed to capture moments without retake. It involves portraiture and live event photography. As weddings and other events never cease, it is one of the most secured sector a photographer can choose. The remuneration can vary from 15000 to a lakh per day based on your experience and calibre.
- Journalism: Photojournalists are associated with newspapers and advertising sector to capture the trending news or products of the commercials. The remuneration is on a monthly basis.
- Portrait photography: mainly involves capturing the human body for personal or professional headshots! Fashion photography is also a part of portraiture. It is a highly paid sector as a freelancer or as a media associate.
- Product photography: This includes capturing the products for mass media or social platforms. It might be food photography or makeup products or grocery items- basically anything and everything. This needs an aesthetic frame choice to make a particular product look attractive.
- Wildlife and landscape photography: Travel photography is probably the most thrilling sector that you can choose as your speciality. It involves capturing the picturesque views of landscapes or wild animals. It involves a lot of travelling and certain risk factors.
Quite obviously apart from these, there are numerous other forms of photography that you can opt for after primary research on respective fields.
What tools do I need to be a photographer?
The most valuable possession that you can have as a photographer is your eyes- remember what you see doesn’t matter in photography unless you can capture how you see. But just as professional doctors need their surgical kit to start off, a professional photographer needs to invest on a good camera, lenses and other accessories for digital photography.
Business ideas are also blooming among the youths centring around the photography domain, where the only scope is not clicking, but also smart clicks on umpteenth brainchild including rentals, camera sell etc!! the secret spell is to hold on until you can frame the perfect shot of your life!
Read More :